Journalism is the field of knowledge and information which provide accurate and credible
information to the public. The work of a journalist is to gather information from all over the
world. They act as mediators between the public and the ruling authority although they are the
watchdogs of the country and also known as the fourth pillar of democracy. If you are a good
speaker and writer with great awareness of the current affairs of the world. This field is meant
for you. As all you need in this field is a great command of both the languages firstly your
mother tongue Hindi and secondly English which is used all over the world. The courses in the journalism field will make
you a professional journalist.
The field is categorized into three different parts print, broadcast, and digital. Whatever
medium you will choose there are a few aspiring steps to becoming an expert and professional
journalist. So, let’s start
So, let’s explore the field of journalism in brief.
How to become a journalist?
Step 1. Obtain qualification: In this profession, you may not need a
certain degree but it will make your ready for the competition present in this field. The
programs in the college and institution will work on your weak points and mistakes you do in the
field and make you more familiar about this profession. The professional degree from the best
college will trained you with practical session which ensures that you are ready to become a future reporter or upcoming actor
in the field of media.
Step 2. Find a traineeship: after you complete your professional degree. The
institution provides you with internship in the media houses. It is the best way to gain the
experience from the real media personality who is working in various desks of the newsroom
observe the work of each department whether it is in input or output desk. Internships and
placements are the entry gates for your jobs in the field of journalism and if you perform well
in this field the channel will place you as the permanent employ in the channel. It will be a
great kickstart for you to setup your profession as the future journalist.
Step 3. Flourish your writing skills: To become a future journalist your writing
skills should be perfect. Blogging and content writer internships are the perfect way to develop
your skills in writing. Write about current events and news occurring in the country develop
your talent and it will make you one step ahead to build your profession.
Step 4. Establish connection: The essential part of this medium is to build a
connection in every department whether it’s reporting, anchoring
, video editing and other input and output desk department employs. The experience and knowledge
of these employ will prior you to gain more experiencing. Make a friendly relation with everyone
employs and create some good links so they will help you in future. Remember the more you make
the networks the chances to establish your career will be more as they prefer your references in
their news channel and media houses.
These are some crucial steps you need to keep in mind to become a successful journalist in
future. Now let’s know further in detail the courses present in journalism field.
In the field of journalism usually bachelor and master are considered as a major degree whereas
student can prefer diploma courses in
journalism profession. A student has a option to prefer master
in journalism after taking different subject in their bachelor’s
DIPOLOMA IN JOURNALISM
- Diploma in journalism is 2 years course that provides you various eruption in writing, for
newspaper magazines and new channels researching about the news and the most essential
learning is the communication they will guide to the proper format of speaking in the news
- A student who passed out its 12 standards with 50% marks with acknowledged board can purse
- Many colleges conduct entrance exam or personal interview with the students for seeking
admission in the college for diploma degree where few colleges gave admission to the
students on the basis of their merit.
- The main entrance exam is conducted by Indian institute of mass communication.
- The courses fee lies between INR 10,000 to 5 Lacs.
POST DIPOLOMA IN JOURANLISM
- Post diploma in journalism is 1year course that provides you to learn various skills such as
current occurrence in the world with proper knowledge and assessment of practical learning.
- It is applicable after the bachelor’s degree and only pursue this course if you score
more than 50 percent in their graduation.
- Admission in the college is done by on the merit bases or it totally depend on the college
which form of admission they want to conduct.
- The courses fee lies between INR 75000 to 3,00,000.
- Bachelors in arts with journalism is 3-year course. It is an undergraduate course that
teaches us the discipline and arts that needed in the media industry
- A student above 50 percent marks in 12th standards are eligible to take
- The admission is totally depended on the college which form they want to conduct whether to
take entrance exam, take personal interview or on merit basis.
- The course fees lie between INR 20,000 to 100,000.
in journalism and mass communication is also 3year undergraduate course that
aware us with latest trends and develop a writing skill that is much needs in the media
- Eligibility for this course is to obtain above 50 marks from the acknowledged board
- The admission is totally depended on the institutes.
- The course fees in higher institutes are above 3 lakhs.
- Masters in journalism and mass communication is 2year course after getting graduate from
journalism. It is degree that give deep research and knowledge about media works and growth
in this field.
- Eligibility for this course is to graduate from the field of journalism or any other field.
- The admission in this degree was in the form of entrance exam.
in journalism and mass communication is a 2 year post graduate course. It
introduces your various section of journalism newspaper, magazine, radio etc.
- Student must
have bachelor in journalism and mass communication from acknowledged board and at least
score more then 50 %.
- Admission is
totally depended on the college which form of admission they want to conduct.
- The fees lie
between 50000 to 300000.
SALARY IN JOURNALISM
As a different profiles as different salary. Any profession will give u salary from INR 50000 to
INR 40000 but you get your handsome salary only when you are expertise in this field.
JOBS AND CAREER IN JOURNALISM
As a journalism you have various option to opt people think that journalism means anchoring but
it is just a rumour journalism is having various option. So, lets explore the various jobs
present in this profession and you can choose your option which is best suitable for you
- Reporter– reporter works means gathering the information from
different parts of the world. There are different beats of reporter which includes
investigating reporting, court reporting, political reporting, and fashion reporting etc. it
is the best suitable field if you are interested in the researching parts.
- Editor andSub-Editor .editors has one
of the most crucial responsibility of the journalism field. The work of editor to correct
the news provide by the reporter. It is the upper level job which provides you good
- Feature Writer This writer works on the specified news
which covers specified topic. They works on the magazines, newspaper or online publication.
They cover a long form news which indicates a major reasons of the country.
- Social Media Specialist this job is emerging nowadays as the
social media become the second platform for news .In this people are maintaining the sites
and increase the brand value of the particular product or maintain the position of the
company on social media platform.
- Photo Journalist this job is specifically for the photographer
who love to click photographs. They collect information from different region through their
picture clicking skills. Many media needs photo journalists and pay them lump sum amount
because of their talents.
These are one of the major jobs emerging in journalism field which sets you future and
pay you higher salary according to your talents.