Career Options after a Degree in Film making
Oct 15, 2019 GKFTII
The fantabulous and extremely astonishing takeover by media and entertainment in our culturally diversified nation has instigated a wide array of opportunities in this segment, both nationally and internationally. This substantial boost has led to numerous career options after a degree in film making.
Despite the brassy competitiveness, the film industry has been widely welcoming towards newer talents with inventive mindsets. Agreeing to the point that talent does most of the work, it is also necessary to understand that a career in filmmaking can be launched with a heightened scope of success if you have a revered film making institute backing you with the detailed technicalities whilst pursuing a film making course.
The film making industry in India seamlessly manages to earn a whopping $2.1 billion gross, every year with boosted speculations of never-stagnant growth. Acknowledging the magnification, the career prospects persistently grow in an enhancing fashion while facilitating numerous career options in this domain. The call for an enduring lust of perfection and the requisite of experimenting with evolving technology and concepts in film making are major reasons behind the broadening of career options after a degree in this segment.
This lucrative field is welcoming for multiple propitious openings as the leads in the segments that film making encompasses; namely- writing, screenplay, technical management, casting, direction, production, cinematography, and related others.
The essentialities of a rewarding filmmaking course and institute
Putting an end to the cumbersome process of scrutinizing the most rewarding filmmaking course, it is highly advisable to consider certain key attributes to come at a cessation in this process. Out of the numerous filmmaking institutes in India, one shall assess and opt for the one which substantially provides you with prospects to connect with the industry. Involvement in real-life projects and facilitating real-time opportunities in the industry must be a key concern for the aforesaid evaluation.
Besides simulation and career invigoration, the presence of experienced tutor groups is equally essential for any film and television institute to embark on success and ensure fulfillment to the enrollers. While opting for a particular filmmaking course/ institution, looking for the presence of cutting edge approach in mentoring is a must. For bringing about new-gen, thriving ideas that the industry is in pursuit of, the course and institute must suffice your specifications and needs in the specialized segment that you seek.
Fulfilling the utmost call for entering the industry, i.e. opting for a good institute, one shall continue focusing on constant reforms and continual learning in order to book that special place for oneself. The filmmaking industry has diversified openings to offer, major positions being listed further-
Working closely with the direction unit, cinematographers serve a key function in the effective making of visual treats.
- The cinematographer is often referred to as the director of photography pertinent to the major position that he/she holds in works associated with the camera, lights, lenses, exposure, etc.
- Practicing cinematography involves the effective deployment of technical equipment, selection of apt most lighting crews and working towards the most effective depiction of a visual on-screen.
- Paying an average of 5,00,000 INR a year to the experienced cinematographers, the Indian film and television industry is highly rewarding.
Thereby, following a course in filmmaking, taking up work as a cinematographer would surely please your pocket and ensure on-field experiential learning.
2. First Assistant Director
Often referred to as the most potential stepping stone towards becoming a director, the completion of a filmmaking courses from a film making school in India can be rightfully followed by taking up work as the first assistant director, titled as the first AD.
- The AD is required to undertake and execute administration related jobs at work which include recruitment of production crew, making meeting arrangements, assistance in devising material for going on air, ensuring coordination in units and creating shoot orders.
- Commencing from a salary of 15,000 INR, with consistent experiential learning, one can reach up to higher stature and pay in this work line.
The screenwriting profession can be rightfully termed as the spine of the television and filmmaking industry.
- Ideas and filmable scripts are the laying stones that drive a concept towards flawless visualization.
- Research conduction and alignment of the storyline with budgets and other production constraints is a major job to be delivered by the screenwriter.
- Fulfilling the quest of creative writing that one’s soul desires, this profession is a treat for those who hold filmmaking degrees and a justifiable rush for content creation.
- This profile can monetarily pay up to INR 2, 50,000 a year to beginners.
4. Technical Director
Attending to the broadcasting, networking, and equipment related duties on an administrative level are the work specifications of a technical director. Visualization of scripts, lens selection, video transitions, and equipment setup are key roles that a technical director has to adhere to. An MFA or BFA in technical direction is offered by some well-known filmmaking institutes in Delhi, India, on completion of which, one can look for opportunities in this segment of work.
5. Casting Director
Besides, formulation of brainstorming scripts, arrangements of equipment, settlement of schedules and direction, a major part in film making is to be played by the acting community that transfers ideas into action.
- The selection of the right person, for the right role and at the required time is highly essential to ensure successful projects.
- A casting director has to attend to the requirements of script reviewing and creation of casting requisites, assessing the applicant's caliber, negotiating contracts and ensuring distribution of necessary information to agencies.
The Indian television and film industry is one of the fastest-growing across the globe which encashes the enumerable opportunities that the diversified culture of our country facilitates. With more than 1000 films annually, the base of openings broadens repeatedly. In this opportunity-driven scenario, if one is looking forward towards fulfillment of creative drives and its conversion into a well paying profession then opting for film making courses and associating with prominent institutes is sure to give a fruitful boost to career.